Thursday, November 15, 2007

Stellar Expressions - Stellers Jays Photos


Their faces are so expressive that I want make cartoon captions for the images. (anthropomorphic, don't scold me, I know!) I photograph this common bird frequently and love sorting through the results of an hour spent with them. The stellers jays' crested heads change continually, sometimes the feathers are fluffed, sometimes spread into a crown, often folded into a sharp peak. They seem always hungry, so if I throw out a bit of seed or peanuts they come to the feast and pose for me. These are crops of the low resolution jpegs. I shoot RAW plus jpeg, but usually only process the raw files for printing. For the blog images, I just crop, if needed, the jpegs and resize them smaller for easy viewing on the web.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I particularly like the top photo, where you can see blue jay-like markings on the wings.

A very handsome bird.

Con Daily said...

Thank you, Wren. I'll have to post one for you soon that shows the back of the bird.

Anonymous said...

Kind of seems like he's on stage!

Anonymous said...

Never seen a stellar's jay! Great shots!

Con Daily said...

Moe, I grew up in NW Oklahoma. I'd never seen a stellers jay until I started visiting Colorado. They fascinate me, I guess because I grew up seeing the 'regular' blue jays.