Thursday, December 13, 2007

pygmy nuthatch


The little pygmy nuthatches have been trying to empty the feeders around my house this week. In the image above, one rests for a moment on the hook that holds the feeder. 1/1250 second at f/5.6, focal length 320mm, ISO 400


The pygmy nuthatch above is sorting seeds. He tosses the ones he doesn't want over his head as he searches for the black sunflower seeds he loves. I'll have to fill a feeder with only black sunflower seeds! 1/640 second at f/5.6, focal length 400mm, ISO 400

Now here he is below with the prized seed. My, what big feet for such a small bird. The pygmy nuthatch is about 4 inches long from the tip of the tail to the tip of the beak. 1/1000 second at f/5.6, focal length 400mm, ISO 200


With more snow in the forecast, these little birds seem to be stocking up today. I know that some bird species hide a stash of seeds. At the rate the seed is leaving my feeders today, it wouldn't surprise me to find these birds hiding the seed somewhere. They seem too small to be eating it all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, they don't get any cuter than this! I love that top picture.

Tracy Wall said...

My goodness! That new lens is letting you capture so much! These are wonderful!! (esp the one with the seed!) Hope you're surviving all the snow you guys are getting up there! Just a little sown here) Stay warm!

Con Daily said...

Thank you, Wren, when I saw the bird sit on the hook (in the top pic) I knew it could be a good image with the dark of the trees in the background distant enough to blur nicely.

And thank you, Tracy. They won't have to toss the unwanted seeds now, I've filled the feeder with the favorites. The snow is great, snow days alternating with sunny days, but not deep enough for snow shoeing around my house. The sub zero temps we had the other night I could do well without.